This article will detail how to use gift cards as loyalty rewards.
To use gift cards as loyalty rewards, you must first have a loyalty program and gift cards set up. See Creating a loyalty program and review articles in this KB related to gift cards.
Once you have a loyalty program and gift cards set up, there are 4 steps to using gift cards as loyalty rewards.
- Create Gift Card Products
- Set Loyalty Reward Product to Product Type "Not Contributing to Sales"
- Exclude Gift Card Products and Loyalty Reward Product from Earn Rules
- Create Redeem Rules
You will need to create a gift card product for each value of gift card you will be offering as a loyalty reward. For example, if you are going to have a $10 gift card reward and a $20 gift card reward, you will need to create two products, one for each denomination.
In the back-office website, click Products > Add New Product, then create a product with a Product type of "Voucher/Gift card" and give it a Retail price equal to the desired value of the card. Click the Save button and repeat this step for each additional gift card denomination you want.
You will need to set your Loyalty Reward product so that gift card reward amounts do not contribute to your sales totals. Go to Products > Catalog and search for "Loyalty Reward". By default, this will be product code 83800661. Select the product and click the Edit Selected Product(s) button. Set the Product type to "Not Contributing to Sales" and click the Save button.
Go to Admin > Loyalty programs, select your loyalty program and click the Edit Selected Loyalty Program(s) button.
- In the Loyalty Program Rule Parameters Form, edit any earn rules to exclude your newly created gift card products and your Loyalty Reward Product (83800661) if necessary.
- Likewise, in the Loyalty Program Earn Rules Form, edit any earn rules to exclude your newly created gift card products and your Loyalty Reward Product (83800661) if necessary.
- Click the Add redeem rule button, give the new rule a Name and a Description, change the Rule Engine Type to "Reward rule", then click the Save button. A blue edit button will appear for your new rule.
- Click the blue edit button and go to the Rule engine parameters: section.
- Set Min Points and Take Points to the number of loyalty points this gift card reward will cost.
- Set Min Parameter to "Redeem Rule".
- Set Reward Type to "GiftCard".
- Set Reward Code to the product code of the gift card product you created.
- Click the Save button.
- Back at the Edit Loyalty Program screen, click the Save button.
- Repeat for each additional gift card reward you are creating.